[OM] Re: 80mm F4 preset macro lens?

Subject: [OM] Re: 80mm F4 preset macro lens?
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:21:42 -0800
The 80mm f4 manual lens has been selling for a little over $200 (in
excellent condition). If you can get it for $100 and don't like it you could
probably sell it at a profit. I don't recall hearing anything bad about it.

I don't think the 80 mm lenses gets used as much as some of the other macro
lenses. The 135 seems to be used by a number of people. The 90mm macros
(Zuikos and others) seem to be quite popular perhaps because they work very
well for non-macro also. The 50mm macro lenses also seem to be poplular but
perhaps not quite to the extent of the 90's. There's a few people who seem
to use the 38mm to get the higher magnification.

The 80mm is light to take along if you're already taking the necessary
bellows/telescoping tube for use with another lens. To commit to the weight
and size of the bellows + 80mm lens isa  pretty significant commitment if
that's the only focal length you gain.

-jeff