[OM] Re: [OT] Is The MAC Dead

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Is The MAC Dead
From: Robert McFetridge <rmcfet@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:05:51 -0500
Mac has also recently announced a new G4 1.24 CPU unit for $499US. has
no screen with it. Intent is to allow those wishing to switch to simply
replace their older CPU with the new Mac and attach all their current
peripherals. Of course they will need to get Mac software, but the list
price is as good as it gets.

Given how seamlessly systems work together it would seem that all this
fruitless banter about the eternal collapse of the Mac would end. As a
one who prefers the Mac environment to that of the larger Windows
world, I would like to emphasize the word 'prefers'. I also prefer
fountain pens and Olympus cameras. I can use the other stuff, just
prefer not to. The OS 10x system of the Mac is about as close to bullet
proof as one can get and it is a whole lot easier to instal, manage and
work with than either Windows or Linux... for me.

Sometimes it seems that PCs are cheaper but once its all together and
running I have not found price differences all that significant, save
for those who build and play with the internal parts themselves. I
really doubt that Mac will die anytime soon but I am sure that our
relationship with these infernal machines will continue to change and
expand at an increasing pace.

On Dec 31, 2004, at 15:28, Philippe Le Zuikomane wrote:

> He's been spreading this FUD for as long as I can remember and has
> made more than one wrongheaded prediction along the way. Apple is
> moving away from the commodity market and diversifying with a heavy
> emphasis on media creation, and leveraging the massive Unix-world
> development effort for its core PC business. -- Phil
>
> On 9:13 PM, James N. McBride wrote:
>

>> John Dvorak paints a gloomy picture for the MAC. Not all agree with
>> his
>> opinions but here is a tale of woe he paints for all the MAC lovers.
>> /jmac

>> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
>> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx
>

> ==