[OM] Re: [OT]   Is The MAC Dead

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT]   Is The MAC Dead
From: R.Jackson <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 09:40:32 -0800
Eh, here's one that most people don't consider; the life cycle of a Mac
system is about twice what most PC owners get out of their machines. I
have a friend who runs a commercial recording studio where his 500 MHz
dual-processor G4 machine has been his bread-and-butter for nearly five
years now as the core of his ProTools Mix-24 system. Most people who
use their machines commercially have retired PCs made five years ago,
but his Mac's responsiveness still does the job just fine. My 1 GHz
dual processor G4 Quicksilver machine has been going strong in my own
ProTools Mix-24 rig since 2002 and I have no complaints at all. It's
fast, never crashes and lives up to everything I throw at it. I expect
it to be going strong for years to come. I'm typing this on a 1 GHz G4
Titanium Powerbook that's about 2 1/2 years old. I routinely edit DV
with it "in the field," burn DVDs with it and use it to play rough
edits for people, as well as using it every day as my email and web
browsing machine. It's never picked up a virus or started acting
strange in any way and I use it at school with the wireless networking
without even thinking about connectivity issues. It just works.

There are still things that I miss running on my old PCs, but every
time I think about getting a PC to keep around for the odd jobs that
they seem suited to (mostly jobs like illegally copying video content)
I try someone's machine and remember how much less I enjoy working on
Windows machines and I decide it isn't worth bothering. I used to thumb
my nose at Mac users, too, but I really think that once most people
work under OS-X for a few weeks they'll never go back to a Wintel
machine. Just IMO, of course.