[OM] Re: Vivitar 550FD M/P/O discussion

Subject: [OM] Re: Vivitar 550FD M/P/O discussion
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 20:57:05 -0400

From: "Joe Gwinn" <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> A few things occur to me.
>
> 1.  Voltage measurements at
> http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html seem to vary all over
> the place, which I suspect is due to the various kinds of voltmeters
> people have.

I suspect mine is not very accurate, and as well I was reading it wrong on a
couple of the measurements with the T series flashes.

> 3.  I doubt that shorting the TTL pins on Olympus (or anyone else's)
> flashes will cause any damage, as a flash that wouldn't work (let
> alone would be damaged) in a plain old one-contact metal hotshoe
> would be laughed out of the market.  That said, if Olympus went to
> the trouble of mechanically retracting the extra pins, it may be that
> shorting those pins will interfere with flash operation.

You are likely right here. Its too bad Vivitar didn't make the extra pins to
retract as well though.

> 4.  It's probably OK to parallel flashes that have the same
> low-voltage polarity (plus or minus) on their synch terminals, even
> if the voltages are not exactly the same, so long as the voltages are
> all no more than 10 or 15 volts.  If the polarities are opposite, the
> units will likely keep each other from working, but probably won't
> hurt each other.  But, no manufacturer will guarantee this, because
> they cannot test all combinations, and are responsible only for their
> own products.

So I should be able to parallel the T series and the 550FD's together then.
Okay, now I might need to search the auction site for some more duo-sync
connecting cords. I wish there was some way to just use phone cords or
something cheap like that to connect everything. The Vivitars don't have the
flash plugs of course, just the hot shoe connection, so the Olympus cords
will only work with the t32.
Thanks,
Wayne