[OM] Re: #001

Subject: [OM] Re: #001
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 19:29:42 -0700
Like many people that become famous, Cartier-Bresson opined about a lot of
things and some of his statements were just bullshit. I put his comment
about cropping in that category. I would not be able to take many pictures
if I could not crop as the available vantage point and available lens focal
length would not permit the perfect composition. If you are taking pictures
of fat whores in sleazy places, as he frequently did, you can have more
control of those kinds of variables. In his later years Cartier-Bresson
abandoned photography for other art media as he didn't consider photography
a legitimate art form. Whether one likes his work or not, it certainly has
been appreciated by many for a long time. Some of his images leave a lasting
impact on the viewer.  /jmac