[OM] Re: olympus Digest V2 #3

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus Digest V2 #3
From: Jaime Garmendia <huitzilopoxtli@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 22:20:35 -0500
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 23:22:58 -0000, Donald MacDonald
<d1956m198d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> One thing I haven't decided on is OS. It will be Windows, to run my v7
> PS,
> but is it worth springing for XP (if so which flavour?) or will my
> current
> 98SE do? Hm?

Ugh, stay away from Win98, unless you are a masochist.  Anything that
requires as much memory as PS will mess up Win98, which is notorious
for bad memory management.  I had a 6-month cycle of blowing
away-and-reinstall windows 98 on my computers.  Also, a number of the
bad bugs that allow worm attacks were never patched in win98 either.

Windows 2000 is much better, and WinXP is pretty good for heavy memory
programs. They just have other problems. Just make sure you have a
good firewall (Zone Labs Integrity Client, for example) and a good
antivirus installed before you connect it to the internet. An external
firewall (either firmware or an old computer with one of the many
Linux based firewalls) is even better.

Saludos,

Jaime