[OM] Re: [OT] New Photoshop machine...

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] New Photoshop machine...
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 22:52:42 -0800
on 1/2/05 3:22 PM, Donald MacDonald at d1956m198d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> All this computer talk!
>
> For my scanned OM piccies (content!!) I am building a new PS machine, to
> run v7. I just ordered the barebones and processor, and the other
> components are decided on but will be bought when funds allow over the
> next couple of months.
>
> One thing I haven't decided on is OS. It will be Windows, to run my v7 PS,
> but is it worth springing for XP (if so which flavour?) or will my current
> 98SE do? Hm?
>
> I hate software decisions...
>
> D.
>
> --
> Donald Neil MacDonald BA DipLIS
> www.skelpitheid.com

Well Donald, I've followed the current iteration of the 'OS War' with little
interest. I've been a Mac user since 1988, and also have always used
versions of MS Windows at work (various jobs, but always a Windows
environment). I also have a laptop and desktop machine running Windows
XP-Pro at home (got a good price on them...) and I'm impressed with XP. I
think it is the best Windows yet. While visiting my parents over the
holidays I wrestled with my Dad's various computers all running versions of
98 and 98SE, and XP is much better.

When I get the funds though, I will buy another Mac, probably a G5 tower,
with the ability to use my SCSI scanner etc. From my perspective, Mac OS is
just more elegant, smooth, integrated, more satisfying to use. Its worth
more to me because it works so well *in my hands* -- just like the OM is
when compared with the contemporary competition (and OM still looks good
compared with modern plastic wunderbricks as well). I'd match the 4Ti
against just about any modern camera short of the Nikon or Canon flagship
cameras... and I won't trade any of my OM's for anything like that anyway.

In my opinion if you're going to build a robust 'Photoshop' machine you
should buy the XP operating system. I got it at an "OEM" price when I bought
it with the hard drive for the computer I was putting together (P4 3.06Ghz,
1GB DDR400 memory, 120GB SATA hard drive, 16x DVD +-R/+-RW, etc). Cost that
way was ~$150 for the XP-Pro version. I hate to give Bill Gates any more
money, and it seems like the 'retail' price for XP-Pro is outrageous,
especially compared with the cost of Mac OS-X Panther (or whatever cat they
call the latest version) which I regularly see advertised for ~$110.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...

More OM's than computers, by a few...