[OM] Re: OM-4T, OM-2SP Battery Consumption Problem

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-4T, OM-2SP Battery Consumption Problem
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 23:08:21 -0800
on 1/2/05 5:46 PM, Thomas Tonelli at thomas.tonelli@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I would like to revisit the battery consumption issue again. I have both an
> OM-2SP and an OM-4T which worked flawlessly for years without any concern
> for battery life. My usage pattern was little or no usage for months
> followed by 10 - 20 36 exp rolls of long exposure shots (1 - 2 minutes
> each). The metering systems of these two cameras were amazing in long
> exposure shots and is why I am desperately trying to determine what has gone
> wrong.  I loaded two fresh 357 silver oxide batteries. I have read several
> messages regarding this issue and thought I would try one of the suggestions
> below to ensure I was using the correct batteries. The OM-4T worked fine for
> that first evening. I took ten shots and then put it away for the night
> stored in my camera bag at the 60 mechanical setting. The next day the
> shutter immediately froze when I attempted my first exposure and could only
> be released by placing the shutter back to the red 60 or B setting.
>

> The only other possibility that may explain why the cameras worked well in
> the past is that when they worked well it was some time up to the mid 90s.
> Perhaps I was still able to use mercury batteries that were masking some
> kind of energy drain problem. Are there any other possibilities or other
> corrective actions I can take? What about the replacement of the circuit
> that has been mentioned, is this still a possibility?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

Tom - The OM-2SP and OM-4T -never- used mercury batterys, were always
intended to use silver oxide e.g. #357 cells. Although an old mercury #675
was similarly sized it probably would not work as the voltage never went
high enough even when the mercury cells were brand new...

I'd try a different pair of #357 batterys; sometimes even 'new' batterys can
be drained or defective, while still in the factory packaging.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...