[OM] Re: [OT] Computers and stuff

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Computers and stuff
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 15:27:07 -0000
<snip>
Go for XP Pro.  You won't believe the difference.  I don't know where to
start.  Hardware just configures itself. Networks and broadband are easy
to handle....USB 2 is awesome.  The file system is new and very robust.
And it is just so stable.  I would be sure to install service pack 2
just to keep the virus stuff away.
</snip>

I'd agree with Dick here - go for XP over 98SE for sure.  Not entirely
sure of the benefit of XP Pro over Home (I'm running a laptop with home
& a desktop with pro, and can see little performance difference - but
I'm not exactly pushing them !).  Only differences I know of are to do
with Network Security.  I'm sure there are more.

I'd go one step further and say that (hold all flames please,
programmers !) Windows XP is the first edition of Windows that I have
actually been impressed enough with to BUY IT !!  I struggled with 98SE
for a long time, and seemed to spend more time trying to make it work
than using the PC as the tool I wanted it for !  When I find a piece of
Software I like and which works for me, I buy it.  Unfortunately 98SE
didn't fall into that category (!) so I gave up and used PC's at work
instead (when it breaks, call the IT dept. !).

Of course, YMMV.  Probably depending on your computer abilities.  Mine
are minimal !

Jon