[OM] Re: Everyday camera

Subject: [OM] Re: Everyday camera
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 09:17:26 -0800
It is a very nice small sensor digicam with a nice lens. Considering
that you can buy the same size sensor in a $300 Coolpix or Canon, $1600
seems to be a bit pricy no matter how nice the camera. If you have ever
tried to manual focus with an EVF, you will understand that the
beautiful manual focus lens will never be used. You will probably end
up only using the autofocus option. In addition it does not have an
autofocus lamp and you will have probably have autofocus problems in
dim light. At the end of the day you will still have have a low
resolution noisy, except in perfect conditions, image that is typical
of the sensor size.

Considering that it weighs a bit over 1.5 pounds and that something
like a Canon 300D weighs 1.8 pounds with the kit lens I do not see the
advantage of the Panasonic/Leica. The new Oly and Pentax may be lighter
yet. A small DSLR with an everyday LENS is a so much more capable
combination in every way while not giving away much in size or
convenience. That said, I use a tiny camera with the same size sensor
for just slipping into my pocket on the off chance there will be a
photo, but if I had to hang it around my neck I would just take the
DSLR.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA