[OM] Re: zuikos on canon EOS users, please write me

Subject: [OM] Re: zuikos on canon EOS users, please write me
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 15:10:21 -0800
I think Reichmann is a good photographer, but sometimes you have to
take what he says with a grain of salt, since he relates his experience
only and tends to oversimplify. Because he shoots for large prints
which he sells, he really pushes to not use noise producing upward
adjustments in post processing. His advice to shoot to the right is
generally correct I think, but it needs to be varied depending on the
camera and the subject matter. For instance the sensor matrix Sony
supplies to Nikon D100 and Pentax IST* is a little more sensitive in
the red sites. Histograms in most cameras read only information from
the green sites. So if you expose to the right in a close up of a well
lit red rose you will mostly get a red blob because you will not see
the red  peak smashed up against the right hand edge of the histogram.

Here is a really good site by a young photographer who not only takes
great pictures but who is good at imparting the digital knowledge he
has acquired. Here he talks about custom curves but in doing so
discusses the relationship between metering and a digital sensor.

http://fotogenetic.dearingfilm.com/custom_tone_curves.html

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA