[OM] (OM) OT What's in a colour?

Subject: [OM] (OM) OT What's in a colour?
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 13:18:07 +1300
Hi all,

I have mentioned to some that I'm painting our house these days. The colour
was chosen by my wife.

It struck me recently that this chosen colour has become very popular of
recent years.  Not that we often decide on a predominant colour for our OM
photos.

The background colour of this URL http://www.beehive.govt.nz/  is close to
but a bit darker than the magenta-based colour I am using. It's a very
striking, rich  hue.  http://www.clerk.parliament.govt.nz/   is darker again

I think the base colour is #99000

The cars that the two females of the house own are this colour (daughter is
always trying to score brownie-points from her mum, and colour could well
have been a factor in choice of car), there is the choice of house paint, bed-
linen purchased for my son Eric is this colour, and it so happens that some
items of clothing (shirts, T-shirts) that I wear are the colour as well.

I wonder how long the fad will last?

As a paint colour on wood in our climate, it is a bad choice. Dark paints like
this absorb so much heat from the sun that the wood it sits on becomes
savagely dried, and cracks greatly. The time required to mend the cracks etc
means that painting time is increased about 5-fold. White makes a lot more
sense.

Back to the spatula (filler), various sanders, and paint-brush.

Brian