[OM] Re: [OT] Computers and stuff

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Computers and stuff
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 11:06:01 -0700
At 10:36 AM 05/01/2005, R. Jackson wrote:

>Winsor, you have officially become my hero. This is the coolest news
>I've had in ages. Thank you SO much for posting about it. Lordy, how
>I've missed buckling-spring keyboards.

I have an older Fujitsu keyboard (FKB4725) from the early/mid-90s which has
tactile feedback.  Love it.  You might be able to find such beasts used on
eBay; even though they have an older serial connector, they mate well with
modern USB ports using an adapter.

A manufacturer of *new* keyboards is a company called Creative Vision
Technologies, a Minnesota, U.S.A. company who licensed the design of the
old Northgate Omnikey (including the tactile feedback, natch); these are
serious keyboards, weighing around 5 pounds, in both AT and XT styles, for
$149.00/$189.00.  They're on the Web at:

      http://www.cvtinc.com/products/keyboards/menu.htm

And they take Web-based orders, too.  It's your hands, so they're likely
worth the extra bucks.  Get your credit card out!

I still pine for the old IBM 3090/3270 "dumb workstation" tactile
keyboards, though -- they were the undisputed champs!

Garth