[OM] Re: [OT] E*son 2200

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] E*son 2200
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:12:34 -0800
I think you may be worrying too much. Virtually all scanner images
benefit from sharpening and flatbed images benefit more than film
scanner images. Have you looked at the Epson Perfection 3200 review at
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/ ? Unfortunately, the site doesn't have
separate URLs for different pages, so you have to click on
reviews=>scanners to find it. He has some excellent comparison examples
to a Nikon LS-1000 @ 2700 dpi and a Flextight Precision 2 @ 3200 dpi.
There is certainly enough sharpness there for a pretty good sized print.
I think the 3170 will be about the same as the Perfection 3200.

A full frame 3200 dpi scan is about 3000x4500 which would be about 250
dpi on a 12x18 print, which is enough for a very good print. The images
from my little 2mp S110 are 1200x1600 and I've made 8x11 prints I and
others like very much from somewhat cropped frames at under 150 dpi. 4x6
is a slam dunk with any of these scanners.

I'd learn to sharpen and try it out before worrying. Sharpening is more
art than science, but there is help from people like Fred Miranda with
very good sharpening plug-ins for PS.
If you do end up needing a new scanner.......

Do some careful research before popping for a Minolta 5400. All the high
res consumer film scanners are imperfect. Find out which quirks would
drive you crazy and choose the one with the fewest of those. 5400 dpi
doesn't give much improvement over 4000 on the vast majority of film
images. Flare drives C.H. a little nuts on his Nikon, as he just posted
again. Both Nikon and Milolta 4-5400 dpi scanners have problems with
edge to edge sharpness for many users. After reading everything I could
find and trying to go blind staring at samples, I ended up with a Canon
FS4000. Recently out of production and with no "buzz", but it looks like
the best to me. Unfortunately, I've been so busy with a big family visit
at Christmas and my mother's health and care issues, I haven't really
put it through its paces, but I've been pleased so far.

If ultimate resolution isn't necessary, just enough for 12x18 with
modest cropping, and efficiency is important, consider the Canon 9950F.
Close to as good as a film scanner and will scan 12 slides or 5 strips
of up to 6 frames, 30 frames, at once with good dust removal for WAY
less than a Nikon with slide and/or strip adapters.  Again, check the
photo-i reviews.

Moose