[OM] my OM-4T is beeping

Subject: [OM] my OM-4T is beeping
From: Steve Schaffner <sfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 22:14:27 -0500 (EST)
First, by way of introduction: I just joined the mailing list a couple
of days ago.  I was on the list for quite a while in the 90s (without
saying very much), but dropped off about six years ago.  Around the
same time my photographic activity dropped off too, mostly because I
was changing careers and needed to focus my attention on that.

My Olympus gear hasn't been completely idle, but it's only in the last
six months that I've started taking more pictures again.  Now I find
that my OM-4T is behaving badly when I mount a flash (T-32).
Intermittently, the camera will start to beep (the self-timer beeping
sound), and occasionally break into a weird trilling, and the green
light in the viewfinder starts to blink.  If I try to take a picture
while it is beeping, the mirror goes up for a couple of seconds, and
the the flash fires.  Does this sound familiar to anyone, and is it
likely to be fatal?  I was planning on sending it to Camtech for
an overhaul soon anyway (and thinking of selling it and the rest of
my gear afterwards -- digital is calling me), but now I don't even
know whether it's overhaulable.  Any insights would be welcome.

Thanks,
Steve Schaffner

[Full disclosure: my desktop machines at home and at work are Windows,
my laptop is a Powerbook, and I do most of my real computing on Unix
machines at work.  (I will resist the urge to say which OS I think was
designed by a committee of malevolent trolls.)  And I split
infinitives freely, like to boldly start sentences with conjunctions,
and think prepositions are great things to end sentences with.  Does
that cover all currently running threads?]