[OM] Re: Shooting Glaciers and Snow

Subject: [OM] Re: Shooting Glaciers and Snow
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 22:17:30 -0800

>- Some of you warned me about the OM4T internal metering system being
>fooled by the light, and hence using a grey card or a light meter.
>Others mentioned that spot and highlight should do. How much
>difference will it make? Is it enough to bracket exposures as (also)
>suggested?

Enrique, if you are taking the boat trip soon then I wouldn't worry too
much about the snow being too bright as the rain in Chile falls mainly
on the plain and on the sea  and on the mountains ... so bring something
to keep the gear dry. And don't forget the wind. Temperatures are mild,
not cold enough to bother the batteries. A polarizer will be less useful
with cloudy weather but you may get lucky so I'd have it in the bag. The
spot, highlite/shadow buttons  on the OM4 will be all you will need. The
snow will only be a small part of most scenery. I'd bring some 400ASA
film to get the shutter speeds up for photos taken on the boat. I found
a 135mm lens most useful for shots taken at the various small ports
along the way. There are lots of wildlife oportunities too.

Some Patagonian scenery featuring an old friend :>) Quick and dirty scans.
http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/LatinAmerica/Patagonia/LArgentina.jpg
http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/LatinAmerica/Patagonia/PtAisen.jpg
http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/LatinAmerica/Patagonia/Paine.jpg
http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/LatinAmerica/Patagonia/rio_baker.jpg