[OM] Re: [OT] Computers and stuff

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Computers and stuff
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 07:09:12 -0500
Robert said:
I miss the old buckling-spring keyboards...
I don't miss it... because I'm still using one.  Since 1987 my keyboard
has been the original keyboard from my IBM PC XT-286.  IBM Lexington
(now Lexmark) which made IBM Selectric and other typewriters was charged
with producing the keyboards for IBM PC's.  The goal was to reproduce
the tactile feel of the Selectric typewriter.  Which they did.

I think the original list price of the keyboard alone was about $250.
Today, few people (besides me) would be willing to pay even that amount
let alone the inflation adjusted price of today.

I've lost track of the number of computers I've owned but this keyboard
has been in continuous use for the past 17 years.  Still works like new.
Still clicks and clacks with exactly the same spring pressure and
tactile feel of a Selectric typewriter.  When the spring snaps over your
brain knows instantly that the key has been properly depressed.

It also has replaceable keycaps for special applications.  Mine has APL
keycaps.  Another relic.

Frankly, I'm surprised that is has lasted as long as it has.  I have a
couple more stashed in the attic in case it does croak.  However, I
think it may go on forever and simply be obsoleted if everything changes
over to USB.

When I can no longer use my beloved keyboard maybe I'll change to a Mac :-)

Chuck Norcutt