[OM] Re: my OM-4T is beeping

Subject: [OM] Re: my OM-4T is beeping
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 14:14:22 -0000 (GMT)

>> Intermittently, the camera will start to beep (the self-timer beeping
>> sound), and occasionally break into a weird trilling, and the green
>> light in the viewfinder starts to blink.  If I try to take a picture
>> while it is beeping, the mirror goes up for a couple of seconds, and
>> the the flash fires.  Does this sound familiar to anyone, and is it
>> likely to be fatal?

I had a simular problem with my spare om4ti but not involving a flash. either
1. the camera would make the self test continuous beep in manual and
automatic mode and would lock up when taking a photo
or
2. the camera would make short beeps in auto and manual mode.
self timer did strange things as well. I feared that the electronics had
failed.

I removed checked the batteries with a volt meter and they where fine. I
cleaned the battery compartment and cap. Still no joy. I found that if I
opened the back of the camera it would start to work normally. I had a
data back 4 on so I wonderred if the databack had a problem and replaced
it with a normal back. That did not help. I put the data back 4 back on
and even with the back open I got problems.

finally I wonderred if there was some mosture inside the camera and so I
sealed it in a plastic bag with a generous mound of silica jel. This
seemed to help

Is the camera ok without the flash?
are you sure the flash is ok?

Good luck