[OM] Re: Birth of Radar and C-360 or 370

Subject: [OM] Re: Birth of Radar and C-360 or 370
From: "Donald MacDonald" <d1956m198d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 20:01:38 -0000
On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 19:00:48 +0000, Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Some people might be interested to see my father-in-law's take on the
> birth of radar -- I sent him Graham's photo of the stone commemoration.
>   He was a technician with the new technology in the Royal Air Force
> during the Second World War; I hope that no one objects to the
> (friendly I am sure) reference to "Yanks".

Fascinating, Chris.

One quote I do remember is that, when the cavity magnetron was shared with
the Americans, prior to their entry into the war, I believe, they said it
was the most valuable cargo ever sent to their shores.

One of the focus points of the Dieppe raid in 1942 was the German Freya
Radar station at Pourville. Important information was gleaned from cutting
its cabling that allowed our boffins to estimate pretty accurately its
capabilities and whether it had backup. This was accomplished by a group
of Canadians escorting a British technician. The technician, Jack
Nissenthal, was Jewish and had worked on the cavity magnetron. Because of
this second consideration he was to be shot by his escort if in danger of
capture. That, and his religion, explains his determination and success in
making his escape back to the UK.

D.

--
Donald Neil MacDonald BA DipLIS