[OM] Re: (OM) Nice Zuiko 21 lens on e*ay

Subject: [OM] Re: (OM) Nice Zuiko 21 lens on e*ay
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 18:20:20 -0800
Glenn Stauffer wrote:

>On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 14:29:44 -0800, DICK LAGUE <rlague@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>I have a gorgeous 90mm F2 Macro that just came off eBay unsold.  What
>>are these things worth any way?

>A bit too rich for my blood unfortunately.  I am looking for a long FL
>macro, but am leaning toward the 135 lens at about half the price.

The 135/4.5 is a very nice lens, and about as different to use from the
90/2 as possible. At over 2+ stops slower, it invites more care and
attention to focusing. As it must be used with the 65-116 auto tube or
the bellows, a slower approach is necessary anyway. The helicoid on the
lens itself is quite short, so one must often adjust the tube or bellows
to get close to focus, then fine tune with the helicoid. Not
particularly difficult, but quite different than the 90/2.

On the 54-116, the 135/4.5 focuses from infinity to 1:2, and just like
with the 90/2, that isn't close enough for many shots I want to take, so
the bellows, although a little more awkward, is my preferred way to use it.

I keep trying to find the perfect Zuiko macro lens for me - and end up
still liking the Kiron 105/2.8, which focuses directly from infinity to
1:1 without any other bits, best. Oh well, the trying is fun.

Moose