[OM] Re: Coverage angle of T-32, was: Vivitar 550FD M/P/O discussion

Subject: [OM] Re: Coverage angle of T-32, was: Vivitar 550FD M/P/O discussion
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 09:08:55 -0400

Here is the quote from the eSIF:
"Guide number 32m (ASA 100). The coverage angle is almost equal to the
picture angle of a 24mm super wide angle lens."

So in using the words "almost" along with "super wide" :-), it seems it is
slightly expanding it's actual capabilities, which is not surprising coming
from the manufacturer. Carl Shipman in his book, who said it covered equal
to a 28mm lens, was either being slightly conservative, or perhaps more
likely, made a mistake.

In my experience, if one is outside looking at landscape, or trying to
capture a large building, there is a significant difference between 28mm and
24mm. But if inside in a typical (say in a house) room at typical flash
ranges, there is very little practical difference between 28mm and 24mm. I
think I first realized this when playing with a Samyang 18-28 (which I no
longer have). Even 18mm didn't get that much more into the picture. With
light bouncing around in a smaller room, there isn't likely to be much
noticeable light fall-off at the edges of 24mm. Chuck measured 1/2 stop
fall-off at 28mm, hardly noticeable in real life viewing of an actual print.
I suppose it might possibly be noticeable at 24mm if one were outside
photographing the side of a white brick building at night, but who does
that?

Wayne