[OM] Re: OT Mileage, Automatic gears

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Mileage, Automatic gears
From: Robert McFetridge <rmcfet@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 12:43:32 -0500
I thought to keep out of this sting as its not got much to do with Oms
BUT... I've always been concerned with fuel efficiency and travel costs
to take pictures is part of it (I appreciate the rationalizing here).
I've also owned several diesel VWs. My first a 1978 Rabbit gave me
500.000 miles before the body died. In the winter I used to leave it
running al day behind my office as in its later years it did fuss about
cold starts. It sure was nice and warm when I got in in the eves
though- the pint or 2 of fuel was worth every penny. (fuel was also
cheaper then). Where diesels excel is that they do give better mileage
(25-30%) the fuel used to be slightly cheaper and stable, at one time
they did last longer for the average user, in wet weather they did not
have the start problems that gas cars sometimes have due to wet
electrics and in the winter they could be left to idle for extended
periods without problems (in fact often trucks and other equipment do
not shut off in many areas through the northern wineter). To endure
they need to have their oil changed religiously. My current 1998 New
Beetle gets very close to 1000km on a 55 litre tank of diesel. The gas
version I believe is closer to 700-750km. Both are very quick and able.
But I used to drive a Toyota Landcruiser diesel as well and it was very
nice and I really loved the old VW air cooled. Travelled in one of
those in Bolivia on the altiplano a year or so back. (Only have a few
poor digitals of that sadly) So is it okay to talk diesel if you take
pictures of them??
On Jan 7, 2005, at 22:44, Winsor Crosby wrote:

> Those are really old myths about diesel engines. Even Mercedes conceded
> years ago that their diesel did not last any longer than their gasoline
> engine. That was in the days that 100K overhauls were routine. In these
> times of 300, 000 mile engine life on Toyota 4 cylinder gasoline engine
> a diesel engine is going to do well to equal that. You have to factor
> in the cost of more frequent oil changes too because of blowby at the
> 20 plus to one compression ratio. Otherwise it will not last as long as
> a gasoline engine due to the acids produced in the lubricant.
>
> The mileage of a diesel engine will be good as all products get more
> expensive due to scarcity. And of course when gasoline and diesel fuel
> are $10/gallon the demand for restaurant grease will push its cost over
> the top as well.
>

> Winsor
> Long Beach, California, USA
> On Jan 7, 2005, at 7:07 PM, Jan Steinman wrote:
>

>> Hold out for the TDI and biodiesel! When gasoline is $10/gallon,
>> you'll
>> be able to make biodiesel from used restaurant grease for a fraction
>> of
>> that. Gasoline is going away sooner than y'all think.
>>
>> Plus, that TDI will last at least twice as long as a gas engine.

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

RT McFetridge
Ottawa, Canada