[OM] Re: OT Mileage, Automatic gears

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Mileage, Automatic gears
From: Siddiq <iddibhai@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 12:49:35 -0800
On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 16:55:09 -0000, Simon Worby <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Siddiq wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 07:48:14 -0000, Simon Worby <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>> Diesels are great if you don't want to / can't afford a petrol car
>>> and you can live with them sounding like a tractor, running out of
>>> puff at 4,000 rpm, stinking, smelling when you fill them up, and
>>> generally being horrible to drive.
>>
>> I did not find that to be the case for modern Tdi's (did not drive it,
>> but spent a LOT of time in it)
>
> Apart from my subjective "horrible to drive" bit, what else do you
> disagree with? (Just interested...)

mainly the driving dynamics; it sounds like you'd like maybe a short
stroke high rev motor? for going round a circuit or autocross petrol is
the way to go, no doubt, but in the daily traffic, the immense off-idle
torque has a lot to do with near instant get up and go, much like large
displacement petrol engines without the fuel penalty. Didn't find the
fill-ups foul either, and if the user is going to spill, he will just as
likely spill petrol too. just my observations from 3 weeks of daily
outings in an oil-burner (of all kinds, n/a, turbo, old and new)

>>> But I've yet to meet anyone who, when pressed, hasn't said they would
>
>>> rather have a petrol car, but can live with the diesel disadvantages
>>> because of the reduced cost. Which is fine.
>>
>> arguable; the parties of which i speak could well afford damn near
>> anything on the market but have Tdi.
>
> Being able to afford has absolutely nothing in common with being willing
> to afford. In fact, quite clearly you don't get rich by wasting money,
> and unless you really don't like diesels, and you can justify buying
> petrol on that basis (as I do), buying a petrol car is a real waste of
> money.

I didn't ask why this particular family opted for all-diesels (5!!) for
their personal use, but petrol cost 1.5x what diesel does there, but
clearly they can well get anything they want, yet chose oil-burners.

--
/S
aim:iddibhai