[OM] Re: OT Mileage, Automatic gears

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Mileage, Automatic gears
From: ian <ianrmac@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 09:48:13 -0700
Jan Steinman wrote:

> But of course, being diesel doesn't automatically make a poor engine
> last a long time, as those unfortunate enough to have the GM 5.7 liter
> engine know very well. Perhaps that was what Windsor was referring to.
> These rarely went beyond 100,000 miles!

That Oldsmobile 5.7 liter engine was a great engine as a gas
engine.  GM probably picked it as a candidate for the basis
of their Diesel attempt because of that.  Of course it was a
miserable failure.  I don't remember too many of them that I
worked on being lucky enough to even make it to that mileage.

Ian