[OM] Re: OM Spotting: Peterson's Photographic

Subject: [OM] Re: OM Spotting: Peterson's Photographic
From: "Jez Cunningham" <jez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 21:22:12 +0100
In my limited experience you just select Manual Focus AND turn the focus ring
to the hyperfocal distance and leave it there.  (It may or may not be marked on
the lens but can always be looked up or calculated.)
Yes, without AF things can work faster.  My only experience (D-70) is that
there is imperceptible lag without AF (or if already focused and shutter half
pressed).
For dSLRs with a smaller than 35mm sensor (most of them) there is anyway an
increase in depth of field compared to 35mm film cameras.  I've seen the
mathematical explanation (all about circles of confusion etc) and it equates to
a depth of field that you would get 1-2 stops more closed down.  Thus there is
a useful "hyperfocal workflow" with no extra AF delay.
br
jez