[OM] Re: OT Mileage, Automatic gears

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Mileage, Automatic gears
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 19:06:03 -0800
> From: ian <ianrmac@xxxxxxx>
>
> Jan Steinman wrote:
>
>> But of course, being diesel doesn't automatically make a poor engine
>> last a long time, as those unfortunate enough to have the GM 5.7 liter
>> engine know very well.
>
> That Oldsmobile 5.7 liter engine was a great engine as a gas
> engine.

I've had two of them! A real workhorse, and real thirsty, too!

I had one on an 18-passenger bus that I used to take people on photo
excursions (and cycling trips, cross-country ski lessons, winery tours,
etc.).

I also had one in a 10' steel step van.
<http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Van/Old>

(Above requisite Oly content -- pix done with a D-600L, which is still
getting used.)

Neither vehicle would do better than 7 mpg! 7mpg up, 7mpg down, 7mpg
fast, 7mpg slow...

Veggie Van Gogh's WORST economy is nearly double that! And when I slow
to 45, I get nearly 20 mpg!

But VVG is fairly gutless compared with the GM 350 gasser with the
four-barrel Rocester. It will hold 65 -- it just takes a while to get
there! :-)

> GM probably picked it as a candidate for the basis
> of their Diesel attempt because of that.

I thought it was the other way around? That their gas engine designers
got together and built a V8 diesel the only way they knew how, *then*
decided to put a shorter crankshaft in and call it a gasser! At least
that's what one GM guy who worked on it told me.

:::: Nobody has ever seen money working. Work has always been done by
people with or without machines. -- Margrit Kennedy
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Van>