[OM] "Stopped Down" Preview Metering?

Subject: [OM] "Stopped Down" Preview Metering?
From: "Curtis P. Hedman" <Curtis.P.Hedman-1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:57:00 -0600
A question for the experts again....

Do any of the OM series permit or support "stopped down" metering before
the shutter is released? I have been doing some experimentation with a
pin-holed body cap, and the Loreo PC lens in a cap, and finally figured out
that the body cap has no provision for communicating "maximum aperture" to
the body, so the "preview exposure metering" of the "auto" mode is
hopelessly confused. I am assuming that the OTF metering during actual
exposure works just fine (but haven't actually proved this with actual
film, yet). I did note, however, that when I put one of these "caps" on my
OM-PC and switch to "Program" mode, the viewfinder display is happy to
estimate a shutter speed that appears to be about right for the lighting
conditions/film speed (this is with the Loreo PC, which has two aperture
settings - f/11 and f/22). In Auto mode the OM-PC displays the "longer than
1 second" icon with the same setup/conditions....

So I'm coming to the conclusion that I should just forget about using the
finder display to "preview" the exposure with any of these gadgets, and
rely on an external meter, or just fire away and let the OTF metering do
its thing... and it would seem to me that same situation would apply if I
use a microscope or telescope adapter - true?

Any insight will be appreciated!

Curt