[OM] Re: "Stopped Down" Preview Metering?

Subject: [OM] Re: "Stopped Down" Preview Metering?
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:51:53 -0500
There's no easy way to do stop-down metering with a Zuiko lens, as the DOF
button doesn't lock.

But if you're trying use a pinhole body cap, an OM2x or OM4x will both measure
the light via OTF metering and work fine.

If you've bought a precision-made pinhole, they usually come with an estimated
f/stop like f/128 or something equally crazy (similar to Large Format
apertures).  You could then estimate the exposure from a hand-held meter and
bracket 1-2 stops on either side in 1/2 or 1/3 stop increments as a test to get
the right exposure for your hole.  There might be some reciprocity issues to
deal with too; check the film data sheet.

Given that the scenes you'll usually be photographing with a pinhole are
usually daylight scenes, the extrapolation from a hand-held meter is usually
straightforward.  For astronomical stuff, the exposure is usually determined by
a book or test, as there is too much black sky that will confuse the meter.
Microcope stuff depends on the subject.

Skip