[OM] Re: 28/2.8

Subject: [OM] Re: 28/2.8
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:08:24 -0800
Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:

>Just opened the back of my 28/2.8 but found nothing worth adjusting, and
>didn't dare to disassemble further without a little help from my friends.
>Fortunately, the lens remains just as before I dared to do so. I do love it
>so much.

I'd pop my 28 mm on a body and try it out to see if yours is typical or
not, but my 28 mm is the f2.0. Maybe somebody else will duplicate your
test of the indicated difference between the f2.8 and f4 settings on a
28.2.8 for you.

It sounds like you may have assumed the worst, that f2.8 is less than
that. It is logically just as possible that f2.8 is correct and all the
other settings are 1/2 stop faster than indicated. This could be the
case if the linkage were bent out of the proper alignment in the
direction that still opens the diaphram fully. Of course, you can't very
well tell without test equipment or some very careful testing on film.

Moose