[OM] Archiving Digital Images - was Re: Oh yeah, now I remember

Subject: [OM] Archiving Digital Images - was Re: Oh yeah, now I remember
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:50:53 -0800
The local imaging companies use 30MB files to store 35mm drum
scans (and are using DVDs to transfer scans). A roll of film creates
a need for over 1GB versus 2 plastic sheets holding 20 slides each.
The Raw file from an E-1 takes about 10MB which doesn't have
as much resolution as film. Long term it would seem necessary to
budget about 20-40MB per image.

Having spent most of the summer fighting an erratic disk failure each
time I tried to put a 250GB hard drive in my computer. I'm not
too keen to store images on two different hard drives and then transfer
all of that to the next generation (EIDE -> SATA or whatever) when
the computer needs to be replaced..

Has anyone found a good way to archive digital images? It seems
that the only reasonable choices are DVD or hard drives. I suppose
file compression could reduce the needs(?) but I don't see anything
comparable to a file cabinet full of plastic sheets ... ???
If film scanners become obsolete maybe the file cabinet will become
a major headache ... ???
TIA
-jeff
(whose digital bit bucket seems to have a leak)