[OM] Olympus ED battery questions

Subject: [OM] Olympus ED battery questions
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:20:58 -0400
I have one of these I received this week, from an auction of course. It was
advertised as having a rusty battery box and stuck shutter, but a bit of
cleaning up battery corrosion, and installing baateries seems to have it
working. It is an auto only (picks both shutter and aperture) rangefinder,
1- 1/800, f2.8-11?, takes filters, GN flash system, self-timer, hot shoe &
pc sync,  just slightly larger than the better known 35RC. You can only vary
exposure by changing the asa. But it does look like it would be a great
stealth camera, as the Seiko shutter is almost inaudible, and the 38/2.8
lens is wide enough to probably shoot fairly accurately from the waist
level. .  If anyone has ever had or has one of these odd things, maybe they
can answer a couple questions.

First, any opinions on how the 38/2.8 lens performs? It seems kind of odd
for Olympus.

It originally took 2 Mallory RM640 1.35v mercury batteries, sitting side by
side in the battery box. These were quite large compared to the 625 mercury
ones, so 2 of the 625's just stack neatly in one side, or 2 of the 675
hearing aid batteries with a spacer to keep them centered. I just completed
the circuit with a piece of rolled up aluminum foil. These batteries make it
function okay, but of course I haven't run a film and have no way to test
shutter/aperture accuracy. Question is, Does anyone know if it draws power
continuously? Which may be why it originally took large batteries? If so, I
may try to make a simple on/off switch for it since it would drain the
smaller batteries very quickly.
Wayne