[OM] Re: Evolt review

Subject: [OM] Re: Evolt review
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 00:21:43 -0800
The real ones are made in China. Maybe retail is just a lot cheaper in China
..
perhaps North Face doesn't prevent the manufacturer from selling locally.
They
just limit their export. Being a little cynical, I suspect the managers
supplement
their income by selling a few at the infamous "flea market". After about 8
years
it's still water proof.

I wonder if Olympus will have tighter control over the factory's inventory.
Olympus
could probably easily put anyone out business that tried to import them for
sale but
it probably isn't worth the cost to try to make it impossible for the
factory employees
to sell a few on the side.

With a jacket it's hard to know if it's an "illegal copy". If it has a
serial number it
might be possible for the owner of the trademark/brand to declare it an
illegal
copy even though it's made in the same factory by the same people as the
real
thing. Perhaps there's varying substance behind genuine imitations ...

-jeff