[OM] Re: Oh yeah, now I remember

Subject: [OM] Re: Oh yeah, now I remember
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:26:36 -0500
Winsor, I disagree with your statement about a 4-5 yr window for "will not be
significant bested image quality".  As much as we want to say this, the makers
will surely find ways to make significantly lower noise, higher accuracy, or
larger images within the next 2-3 years.  I do agree, however, that the pace of
MP proliferation will quickly slow to a crawl.  The ancillary, supporting
systems will become increasingly more critical, just as they have in all
"horsepower driven" product cycles.  Eventually the raw power catches up with
the infrastructure and you have to upgrade everything.  How many people do you
see shoehorning a Porsche engine into a VW. Not many, as the engineering to
upgrade the whole chassis ovewhelms the cost of the initial, cheap car.

What most consumers don't realize are the hidden issues created by larger MP
sensors, especially if those cameras don't cost multiple $000's: like image
storage issues, in-camera write/read/processing times, inherently higher noise,
etc.  It's like buying an SUV with a $4000 rebate only to realize that it costs
$60 fill up the tank every 4 days.  Total cost of ownership isn't in the
typical consumer's vocabulary.

>>Winsor Crosby wrote:
>>

>>>Development of DSLRs is already slowing down. In the space of
>>>about 5 years they went from 1.3MP up to 6MP. Ones that people
>>>can afford are just beginning to edge toward 8MP after being
>>>stuck at 6MP for almost 3 years. I think that the 20D, eVolt
>>>and the not yet introduced Nikon equivalent will not be
>>>significantly bested in image quality for at least 4 or 5 years.

I'm with Moose here.  I'd rather have a great 5MP camera than a so-so 8MP
camera.  That's why I stick with my E-1.  Sure, it could have lower noise,
cheaper glass, faster frame rates, faster startup times, faster AF, more AF
sensors, and some ther things, but it's a real kick-ass camera and is fine up
to around 16x20.  For the pixel peepers that want to quibble about specs and
megapixels as the best indication of a camera, I agree that you WILL see a
difference between an 8MP 20D and the E-1's 5MP, as the 8x10 cropped pixel
counts are 48% greater on the 20D:

At 8x10 print ratio
  20D: 6.821 million effective pixels (a 17% cropping wastate)
  E-1: 4.608 million effective pixels (a 6% cropping wastage)

But for my uses, the E-1 wins as a great picture machine and I'm very, very
happy not to follow the masses.

**** Confession: ****  I am a non-conformist.  I don't want to buy Nik*n or
Can*n.  I like the quirkyness and buck-the-system attitude of the Olympus
products, all the way back to the 60's.  I enjoy being picked on and paving the
way; that's why I bought an OM-1 in 1974 instead of something else and stayed
with it until 2003.  The only way that a switch would happen was: 1) If I was a
pro and my company forced me into such a decision, or 2) The E-1 stopped being
reliable or capable.

Skip