[OM] Re: Olympus ED battery questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus ED battery questions
From: "PhotoSphere Olympus Camera Service" <olyfix@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:49:48 -0600

> First, any opinions on how the 38/2.8 lens performs? It seems kind of odd
> for Olympus.

That was a unique lens -- at least I can find no other camera that uses the
same part numbers.  But it may be the same optical arrangement as all the
other cameras of that era.

> It originally took 2 Mallory RM640 1.35v mercury batteries, sitting side
by
> side in the battery box. These were quite large compared to the 625
mercury
> ones, so 2 of the 625's just stack neatly in one side, or 2 of the 675
> hearing aid batteries with a spacer to keep them centered. I just
completed
> the circuit with a piece of rolled up aluminum foil. These batteries make
it
> function okay, but of course I haven't run a film and have no way to test
> shutter/aperture accuracy. Question is, Does anyone know if it draws power
> continuously? Which may be why it originally took large batteries? If so,
> may try to make a simple on/off switch for it since it would drain the
> smaller batteries very quickly.

It should not draw current continuiously, but may with certain malfunctions.
With the camera released try pressing gently on the release button.  You
should NOT see the lamp on the front or in the finder illuminate.  If it
does, there's an arm under the release button that's bent.  Be careful not
to store the camera so that anything can press on the button -- that would
drain the batteries.

I can't tell for sure why they used 640 batteries but the solid state auto
exposure control circuits on the ED and EC series were power hogs.  Cameras
like the RC, RD, etc., used a galvanometer and step-cam mechanical device to
provide auto exposures which would require much less power to operate.

Mercury 640's are no longer available of course, but you may be able to find
alkalines.  They should work just fine.

I've got the spec. page from the old sales catalog if you'd like a copy --
email your addy or fax # off list and I'll send it to you if you're
interested.