[OM] Re: OM to E adaptor, was A Stupid ...

Subject: [OM] Re: OM to E adaptor, was A Stupid ...
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:13:59 -0500
Cc: rlague@xxxxxxxxxxx
OM-Zuiko lenses can be used on the E-System (E-1, E-300, and the upcoming model
(E-3?)) and on Canon EOS with the appropriate adapters.  There may be other
adapters, but they aren't well known or used, that I can tell.  I know that you
can get one to mount Zuikos on a Leica M camera, which could be useful for wide
angle only, as you'd have to scale-focus the lenses.

All the adapters allow you to mount a manual-focus lens with mechanical
diaphragm connections to a modern, AF camera (DSLR or SLR).  E-System and Can*n
EOS are both electronic cameras and much information is exchanged between the
body and lens via electronics.  This means that the MF lenses work only in
"stop-down" mode.  The adapters really only function as a precisely spaced lens
holder.  They have a mechanism that actuates the auto diaphragm lever on the
lens, so when you rotate the f/stop or aperture ring, the iris closes down.  So
if you close the lens down to f/11, the finder gets very dark.

E-System lenses and EOS lenses work ONLY on their respective makers bodies, no
adapters.

Skip