[OM] Re: Fungus

Subject: [OM] Re: Fungus
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 18:15:21 +0000
Exceptions to the rule:

The 50/3.5 Zuiko macro is better than any of the faster 50mm Zuiko lenses,
except the 50/2 macro, and even here, the two are pretty much equal from f/5.6
on.

Either a 50/1.8 MIJ or a >1100000 50/1.4 is better than a 50/1.2 and even more
better* than a 55/1.2.

The 135/4.5 is better than the 135/2.8, and even more better* than the 135/3.5.

To the contrary, though, the 35-80/2.8 Zuiko at 50mm is probably better than
any of the 50mm Zuiko lenses except the macros, and is probably better than any
of the other lenses within its range except those that are faster, like the
35/2 or 80/2.

The Tamron 80-200/2.8 is maybe a little better than the Zuiko 135/2.8 or
180/2.8.  However, as much as I appreciate the performance of this big, heavy
and awkward-to-hold lens, I don't like the one-touch bass-ackwards zoom, so I
more often than not carry both the aforementioned Zuikos instead, the
occasional bit of chromatic aberration be damned.  The Zuikos are just so much
nicer to use, and then, since I throw in the 100/2 Zuiko, there's simply no
question about what to tote.  The three Zuikos actually weigh less and take up
about the same room in the bag.

I'm sure there are more anomalies and contradictions, but the general rule of
thumb is:

1. Faster lenses are usually better than slower lenses.
2. Primes are generally better than zooms at the same focal length.
3. If you've got it, use it.  More often than not, most any lens exceeds most
photographer's capabilities.

I'm sure some other folks will have corrections and/or additions.  But, hey,
it's more on topic than diesels, Macs and temporal lobe epilepsy.  :-)

Walt

*Would you prefer "betterer"?  Language evolves, just like we do -- hopefully.

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --

From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)