[OM] Re: Olympus ED battery questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus ED battery questions
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:21:04 -0400

> It should not draw current continuiously, but may with certain
malfunctions.
> With the camera released try pressing gently on the release button.  You
> should NOT see the lamp on the front or in the finder illuminate.  If it
> does, there's an arm under the release button that's bent.  Be careful not
> to store the camera so that anything can press on the button -- that would
> drain the batteries.

On mine the yellow lights, one on top, one on the front, and what looks like
a tiny one in the viewfinder, only light up after the film is advanced and
when you begin to push the shutter button. They all go out though when the
shutter button gets down a bit further, even before the shutter fires. They
won't light at all if the film advance hasn't been wound.

> I can't tell for sure why they used 640 batteries but the solid state auto
> exposure control circuits on the ED and EC series were power hogs.
Cameras
> like the RC, RD, etc., used a galvanometer and step-cam mechanical device
> provide auto exposures which would require much less power to operate.
>
> Mercury 640's are no longer available of course, but you may be able to
find
> alkalines.  They should work just fine.

So the higher 1.5 volt alkalines won't damage the circuitry and will give
proper exposures? If that's so, it makes it easy to find batteries.

Thanks,
Wayne