[OM] Re: Fungus

Subject: [OM] Re: Fungus
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 01:23:40 -0800
David Carter wrote:

>>Yes. Don't buy a lens with fungus. It simply isn't worth it except as
>>entertainment with no expectation of ending up with something usable.
>>

>Possible exceptions being :
>- a valuable lens that is economically cleanable.

I said later in the same pp, "Only if the lens in question can be taken
for an estimate from a qualified repair person beforehand would I
purchase it for later actual use." I already agreed with your point, but
I don't know how one can know it is economically repairable without
having a technician evaluate it.

Remember what John H. said. "You should avoid any used lenses that are
being offered with fungus damage. Sometimes it can be cleaned out, other
times it has progressed enough tohave eaten into the glass. Many
replacement elements are not available."

>- A lens that you need, but which cannot be easily obtained

Same situation as above, what good is it if it doesn't work properly.

>- a lens with fungus on the outside of the outside of the front or rear
>element,
>that can be wiped off with a microfibre cloth ( I bought one of these )

Take your chances, but if the coating and/or glass itself has been eaten
away, you are SOL.

Moose