[OM] Re: (OM) Solstice web-site news/now oly cheating?

Subject: [OM] Re: (OM) Solstice web-site news/now oly cheating?
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:24:38 -0400

> But there are fun alternatives! We could discuss whether Oly cheated.
> And once somebody with calibrated equipment determines whether the wide
> open of stopped down markings are more accurate, we can wonder whether
> everybody else cheated, or whatever it turns out to be, or if Oly
> managed the whole camera/lens downsizing that changed the industry based
> on smoke and mirrors.
>
> Moose (Now looking on the floor for any stray, recoverable brain cells.
:-)

I think I got through it without losing any brain cells. Be careful what you
write in the future though, as losing brain cells is something I cannot
afford :-).

The same somewhat sarcastic conclusion could likely be applied to almost any
technical discussion on this list though. For example, for someone shooting
98% of their pics on auto and 90+% of their pics less than wide open, the
whole business of comparing Zuikos to 3rd party lenses, or any test of lens
performance, is basically pointless, as most any lens performs well in
mid-range apertures. By the same reasoning of discouraging careful scrutiny
of Olympus flash performance, we could also discourage careful scrutiny of
Zuiko lens performance. I think the flash performance would have at least as
much effect on the final image.

My opinion only, and don't get discouraged sharing your knowledge of
photographic things. :-)

Wayne