[OM] Re: OM-1n Maintenance Questions

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-1n Maintenance Questions
From: "PhotoSphere Olympus Camera Service" <olyfix@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:23:08 -0600
> I have inspected the shutter and do not see any pinholes.  Does the
shutter
> deteriorate mostly due to use or will it deteriorate over time no matter
> what?  Is there any thing that can be done to maximize the shutter's life?

Some curtains are used so much they simply "wear out".  I check the curtains
on every OM-1/1n I see by lifting the mirror and inspecting the rubberized
side.  Many exhibit what I assume to be abrasion wear, and on those I always
fire a flash an inch or so from behind while looking closely through the
front to check for holes in both first and second curtains.  Once in a great
while I find them, but it's rare.  Still, the last thing I want to do is
invest several hours of labor "fixing" a camera only to find that it has
holes in the curtains!

And sometimes I find curtains where the rubber has gotten stiff and has
actually cracked.  I suspect those are the ones that were subjected to harsh
extremes, such as being left unused for years in a garage or car trunk.
Most unusual though are the ones where the camera was left with the mirror
up, lens on, facing the sun.  That shows up most often after an eclipse.  Do
you remember using a magnifying glass to burn paper?  The same thing happens
to the curtains!

The bottom line is, avoid frequently subjecting your camera to extremes --
like, don't store it in an enviornment without temperature control, etc. --
and you will avoid many problems.

> Is it worth sending the camera out for a general overhaul?  If so what
would
> this include?

My advice is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  Other than keeping your
camera clean and dry and avoiding abusive situations, there's not much
"maintenance" you can realistically do.  For the most part, a "general
overhual" means "check everything, fix everything that's wrong, adjust
everything that is out of tolerance".