[OM] Re: Zuiko 35-105 question

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko 35-105 question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 23:28:51 -0800
Richard Lovison wrote:

>Does anyone have any opinions on which version of the Zuiko 35-105 lens
>has the better optical performance?  Gary's tests seem to indicate that
>those with s/n <500,000 have better resolution.

I tried to find that answer a while ago and got nowhere. Much as I would
like to read something into Gary's tests of the 2 lenses, remember his
statement about comparisons, "differences are significant across full
letter grades only (unless a paired comparison was made - as noted)."
Taking into account sample variations, the subjective nature of Gary's
data, as above,  the fact that they were tested with different camera
bodies, a mixture of OM-4, OM-1 and OM2000 for one and an OM-4T for the
other, and that the lens are in the size/weight range where vibration
from the body tends to be an issue.......... Well, I think all the tests
say is that the 2 samples are equivalent in performance within the
margin of error of the testing procedure.

My guess is that the original sample differences may have been as great
as the differences between the 2 series. The design changes may have
only been mechanical and not optical. Certainly all these years later,
condition of individual samples is more important than which series it
came from. I was happy to get a lnib one from the first series. I
figured the obvious lack of use meant a higher liklihood that it had not
experienced any performance reducing wear or encounters.

Moose