[OM] Re: Zuiko 35-105 question

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko 35-105 question
From: Richard Lovison <sylv4700@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:22:08 -0800 (PST)
--- Wayne Harridge <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I seem to remember CH saying that the optical design changed, in
> particular the rear element was obviously different.

That was my understanding from what I read on the mir.com website.  The
statement is as follows:

There were two versions of the 35-105 (incidentally, rumoured to be
based on the Tokina 35-105/3.5-4.5 RMC lens). Some of the differences:

S/N <500,000: 460g (16.3 oz), 106mm long extended, 86mm long retracted,
focusing grip 42mm wide, infrared focusing dots (red) above aperture
ring and below 105 on distance scale barrel, no variable aperture dot,
rear element flat and nearly flush with back of lens.

S/N >500,000: 470g (16.7 oz), 107mm long extended, 87mm long retracted,
focusing grip 38mm wide, no infrared focusing dots, variable aperture
dot (white) between 3.5 and 5.6 on aperture ring, rear element recessed
and convex."

On this later model the aperture closes when an aperture smaller than
3.5 is selected (the Zuiko 35-70 f3.5~4.5 has the same feature). Lens
tester Gary Reese concluded they have slightly different optical
formulae.

http://mail.yahoo.com