[OM] Re: resolution of images

Subject: [OM] Re: resolution of images
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:11:13 +1300
Hello Dean,

Thank you for your information and reminding me of the effects of diffraction.

However, the degree to which this may be a problem possibly depends on
the design of individual lenses. I don't know.

According to Gary Reese's tests at
http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm
the Zuiko 100/2 should be sharp (A-) at f/22.

Perhaps I might try a set of tests - now that I have my own film scanner (HP
Photosmart) I can bypass the lottery of lab scanning as well as their costs.
The yellow flag iris is over for this year however ;-(
A nice big flower with lots of interesting detail and colour, if the light is
carefully controlled.

What I wanted to highlight however, was that the combination of long lens
(versus short lens), no aperture pre-fire, and a slow shutter speed, even for a
lens renowned for being sharp, could have an observable downside. I think
that if I were to try this again with the OM1 I would firmly fasten a very
heavy
weight to the camera to absorb the vibrations through the inertia of the weight.

The Panagor doesn't go smaller than f/16, and f/22 is the smallest aperture
for the Z 100/2. Maybe I should have used the same aperture for both.

I wanted to capture the greatest depth of field for this flower which, as those
who have seen it will appreciate, has considerable diameter, and was
interested to compare what these two lenses could offer. I did not expect
significantly different resolution at the zone of sharpest focus.

Of course, what I could have done is what a professional photographer friend
of mine says, as he pokes fun of my purchasing ever "more bits of bottle", as
he puts it. This is to use a medium format camera - his choice would be
Hasselblad - fit a standard lens, stand back a bit, and shoot. From the ample
negative I could crop and enlarge, have all the flower in focus from front to
back, and heaps of definition. Take your pick.  I don't have a 'blad.

Brian