[OM] Re: 35mm Film

Subject: [OM] Re: 35mm Film
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 22:21:08 -0000
Robert Smith wrote:

> The first pictures I had back from peak were far sharper than
> anything I had received back from Tesco or Boots so I have
> decided it would be good to stick with them.

I can only assume:
A) they scan the negatives at much higher resolution, and
B) they have better printers.

I don't think it can be the developing of the film.

The difference, though, I agree, is huge.

> I have a 50mm f1.4 and a 35-70 f3.6 on the way.

The 35-70/3.6 is supposed to be a good lens. The f4 isn't. I don't like
my f4. It's on my wife's OM-30 with 400ASA negative film (says it all!).

> I would like to get a 135 f2.8

I have the 100/2.8 and the 135/3.5. I understand the 135/2.8 is very
good; I really like the 100/2.8 because it's so small and convent. And
it seems to produce good images.

> Playing around with my father-in-laws 300mm zoom at the
> weekend made me realise that I ought to eventually get a 300 f4.5.

I'm also on the lookout for a 300/4.5. But they're quite expensive.

> My use of 200 ASA films came from using my OM10  infrequently
> and using a 200 would cope with whatever I might do.
> Now that my OM1n and it is coming up with better pictures
> than I could ever get with my poorly Om10 I will use it far
> more and choose more appropriate films.

The OM-10 is a capable camera. It was my first "real" camera. When it
died, just like your and yours, I got a 1N.

> I shall scribble down what you have said and go shopping.

Get a copy of Amateur Photographer and ring around the film supply
advertisers for prices, and ask about expiry dates. Prices are far, far
lower than on the high street, and expiry dates seem to be further off,
meaning the film is fresher.

Regards,

Simon