[OM] Re: Evolt review

Subject: [OM] Re: Evolt review
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 19:14:11 -0800
> From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> "Although the Kodak chip has a total of more than eight megapixels (or,
> more exactly, photosites interpolated into pixels), the exact number of
> those which end up within the recorded image is 7,998,272. I'm
> referring to
> this number as 7.62 MP: while "mega" means in science one million, in
> computer applications it traditionally denotes the factor 220, or
> 1,048,576, a difference of almost 5%.

Bunk. Compare apples with apples. All the camera manufacturers use ISO
standard megapixels, meaning one million.

2^20 is more properly referred to as "mebipixels". It's a reasonable
measurement unit for solid-state memory ONLY, and is increasingly
uncommon in disk capacities and other uses.

:::: Restaurant: "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone."
:::: Spammer: "We reserve the right to serve refuse to anyone."
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Item/99AR01-2>