[OM] Digital noise and high ISO

Subject: [OM] Digital noise and high ISO
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:03:16 -0500
Joel said:
 > These are not my concerns, but they are expressed commonly as
 > concerns.  Canon seems to have made noise suppression its king maker,
 > and let them have it.  I don't need ASA 1600.
But you have to learn to think of high ISO in digital terms where the
ISO setting is another (per frame) exposure control in the same sense as
shutter speed and aperture.  As Moose pointed out recently, noise free,
high ISO performance can be an equivalence factor for image stabilization.

Image stabilization systems typically allow hand holding the camera at
about 2 stops beyond not having an IS system.  If camera B can produce
an image at ISO 3200 that is no noisier than camera A at 800 then that
reduced noise is a significant performance item.

Chuck Norcutt