[OM] Re: Motor drive 2 battery replacement?

Subject: [OM] Re: Motor drive 2 battery replacement?
From: "Julian Davies" <julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:54:39 -0000
Certainly sounds like the NiCd is dead. The instructions on the FAQ are easy
to follow and spot on for accuracy, so disassembly should present no
problems. To make the replacement I would advise against scavenging cells
from 9v Nicds, as the capacity is really not very high. I rebuilt two, one
with 13 1/3AA NiMh cells, one with a custom built replacement 12 cell NiCd
pack (cost GBP23 instead of over GBP100 from Oly). Both working fine. The
NiMh gives a bit more voltage (& speed) at full charge, and maintains it for
longer. The NiCd has finally won the self - discharge test. Both were
useable 18 months after a full charge, so not really a meaningful victory.
European source of the NiCd pack is:
drawing number SP2470 from Axess international
(sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Julian