[OM] Re: #022

Subject: [OM] Re: #022
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 06:27:50 +0000
It works for me as well.  The contrail has cast a shadow on the top of
the high cloud, giving the line a certain depth.

Contrails are the vapour trails left by jet engines flying above a
certain altitude and under certain conditions.

It is one of those joys of flying a fighter that you can be in
formation with your leader and during the climb his exhaust(s) suddenly
billow this white stuff.  Of course it provides a tactical handicap if
you are about to enter a fight, real or training, and you aim to fly
below or above the altitudes at which you trail (called MINTRA as I
remember – minimum trail altitude) if you don't want to be spotted.

see http://homepage.ntlworld.com/booty.weather/FAQ/MR.htm#MINTRA

Chris