[OM] The digital itch that needs scratching

Subject: [OM] The digital itch that needs scratching
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:04:34 -0800 (PST)
I can wait, honestly I can wait!  Uh huh.

Seeing the new review of the KM D7D was quite fascinating. I'm
very intruigued--especially since I'm already possessing an A1.

However, there's something that is bugging me. I realize that
the E-1 pales in comparison spec wise, but the E-1 is a more
robust critter. I know the build quality of the A1 and the
various quality control issues they've had with their products.

When do you ignore the specs and get what you know is an
excellent unit? The E-1 has been out long enough that it has
proven itself a worthy contender. I haven't seen too many
complaints about the camera or its operation.  Besides, you
never know when you need to pound a few nails.

I'm getting convinced, through samples and heresay, that the
picture traits are "film like" enough to allow me to get the
output I desire without tons of post-processing. Noise is a
non-issue with filtering software. Sharpness is relative.
If/when I need ultimate quality I'm using film and/or 4x5
anyway.

This is a decision meaning a "marriage" to a specific system for
a long time.  The E-1 is a first step into that system and
future purchases would be in that lineup.  Even after the
new/improved models come out, a purchase of a used E-1 now (or
in a few months) isn't all that bad of a choice.

Why is the E-x system the way to go for me?

1. Dust-shaker. The testimonials on this have backed up the
claims of the company.

2. Viewfinder. Decent and clean. Large enough and bright enough.
Pretty easy to focus on. Gives adequate bokeh characteristics to
please the artist in me.

3. Grip shape and controls. This is a camera that can be
operated intuitively and doesn't need to be fought to accomplish
simple tasks.  It just feels right.

4. Robustness and weather sealing. The armoring on the camera is
impressive. I'm not easy on my equipment and a little ruggedness
is a good thing.

5. Marginal backward compatibility with selected Zuikos. With
the adaptor I can use several of my prized Zuikos. Limited
application, for sure, but good for making use of existing
resources. Allows me to combine a film/digital kit in one bag.

6. Comfort.  I just like Olympus cameras. There's just something
about them that makes me smile.

Again, I probably wouldn't buy a new one unless after the E-3
comes out I see one at a fantastic close-out price.  I don't buy
new cars and I've only bought two new cameras (IS-3, A1) in my
life.  A little wear isn't a bad thing.

This isn't about any one specific camera. It's about a "system".
Sure the C*non is probably the best "system" for most people,
but I'm not most people.  After all, why did we buy our OM gear
in the first place? And why do we KEEP buying OM gear?

It's a design philosophy. If you like gadgets and things that
think for you, get a C*non. If you like tools that become
extensions of your mind, get an Olympus.  The OM system was the
SLR that Leica should have build.  The E-x system has continued
the tradition.

AG

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail