[OM] Don't have a fit; make it fit!

Subject: [OM] Don't have a fit; make it fit!
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:20:26 +0000
I'm posting to the List a copy of an e-mail I received off list from John
Hudson this morning, along with my reply.  I thought it might be of some
possible value to the tinkerers in the group, and I don't think John will mind.
 It follows:

John,

A few years back, I acquired an old 127/4.7 Rodenstock Ysarex, the standard
lens on a Polaroid 110A.  This is a very good lens, and I got it to fill the
gap in my MF lenses between 100mm and 150mm.  I have since, being a lens junky,
come into possession of 120mm and 135mm lenses, so I don't use the Ysarex much
anymore.  But I digress.

This lens had no provision for attaching a filter or hood, lacking any sort of
threads.  The outside diameter of the front ring was, as I recall, about 46mm,
which I discovered was just slightly larger than the inside diameter of a
49-55mm step-up ring.  So, I carefully began enlarging the inside of the
step-up ring until it would almost -- not quite, but almost -- slip over the
ring around the front element.  Then I plopped the ring on a medium hot
electric stove eye for about 30 seconds, the heat expanding it just enough so
it then fit over the lens, where, wearing gloves, I held it in place for the
few seconds it took it to cool and contract.  It's there to stay.

You might try the same sort of thing with your lens, perhaps even in reverse,
taking something that almost fits inside and getting it cold and the lens warm,
then mating the two.  I wouldn't get the lens much over 100F, like maybe in a
sunny window.  And as for the ring, I would say to put it in the freezer, but
where you are, outside would probably be even better.  :-)

Years in the hobby of restoring old cars teaches a fellow a few tricks.  One I
learned long ago is that hot and cold, as in a blow torch and/or a bucket of
dry ice, sometimes works even better than a bigger hammer making things fit.

Good luck.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from